We are beyond excited to announce our partnership between Lasting Impact! and Skill Set Debate! Let me introduce you to Skill Set Debate-they are a small business created by young entrepreneurs in 2017 whose lives have been drastically changed by the power of public speaking. Each member of their team has a unique story and is passionate about helping others develop their personal communication style for the glory of God. I am excited about what the Lord has in store… even if it means online, because growth will continue, relationships will be made, and we will have fun!!Continue reading “Are You Ready for Debate Camp? (Online)”
Summer is quickly approaching. Do not let this quarantine thing stop your speech and debate progress! I know a lot of summer events have been canceled, but that doesn’t mean you should just sit on the couch a binge the next season of whatever is trending. There are a ton of things that you can do to promote growth and build your speech and debate skills. I get that students feel the need for a break, and being on Zoom can be exhausting. But there are tons of ideas to explore! First let’s go over reasons why you should make the most of your summer, then we will give you options for growth….Continue reading “Continue Growing Your Skills Over the Summer”
Whether you’re a first-year debater or a 6-year debater wanting to dig deeper, this brand new sourcebook from Lasting Impact! is about to be your best friend!
We are putting together an NCFCA LD Guidebook–It’s like a typical sourcebook, yet with LD coaching tips and arguments all in one. This is not a curriculum. Hope Rawlson, 2019 NCFCA LD Champion is part of the project, “I am so excited to be involved in this! I LOVE LD, but felt typical source books, just didn’t offer enough. I’m thrilled Lasting Impact! will be offering more to help competitors, parents, and coaches and making a resource that will be really helpful for understanding the resolution and debating rounds.”
The guide will be split into sections, it is organized by the different elements of an LD case:
- Resolution Analysis
Plus, inside each section there will be an explanation on how to use it in LD. You will have a plethora of resources at your fingertips– including definition briefs, application briefs, in-depth arguments, and more! In addition, the sourcebook will include analysis of different arguments, how to debate this resolution, and how to successfully debate LD in general, all written by nationally ranked debaters with years of proven experience! Lasting Impact! is beyond excited to offer this incredible resource to share with all of you. Available by ebook only. Release date September 2019.
If you are as excited as we are… be sure to sign up for Hope’s Online LD Workshop – Aug. 28. Perhaps, you will get a sneak peek into the guide!
Two more opportunities this week to learn from a seasoned pro! Kaitlyn Butts is excited to talk about getting the most out of Speech and Debate by competing in Apologetics, as well as how to use the skills you are learning to advance your college career and beyond. These online workshops will be recorded through our online forum called Zoom, however there is no guarantee they will make it into our Recorded Workshops. So, be sure to sign up! Recordings will be sent to the email registered and remember- Workshops are only $5-$10 for members! Sign up NOW! Or keep reading to see what Kaitlyn has to say…Continue reading “Wednesday Workshops are Tackling Apologetics and College with Kaitlyn Butts”
For those of you who don’t know him, Isaiah’s passion is teaching students to think deeply and something (like me) he spends a lot of time thinking about!! After somewhat of a hiatus, Isaiah is looking forward to seeing both old and new friends in Chicago this August…
I’m really excited to help a new group of students stretch themselves and think about debate like never before. If you are thinking about sending your student to camp, or if you haven’t worked with me before, here are three things you should know:Continue reading “Cultivating the Debater’s Soul by: Isaiah McPeak”
This week starts our series of Workshop Wednesdays!! An opportunity for you to grow and dig deeper into some of speech and debate categories. One of our fabulous coaches, Isabelle Clausen, will kick our week off with Digital Design – a great overview of how to make your speeches digital for Digital Presentation or Expository. Next, she will explore Persuasive Speaking. Not quite sure you want to sign up? Isabelle will give you the reasons to try these Platform Speech Categories…Continue reading “Going Digital AND Persuasive Speaking – for Speech and Beyond”
Let’s say you were about to start a years worth of soccer competition. If you were seriously trying to be at least decent you would never skip all the practices and show up to the first game completely unprepared. That’d be ridiculous and you’d definitely lose. No, you’d take the time beforehand and make sure you know how to play and play well.
It’s true with soccer and it’s true with extemp. The key to succeeding is to prepare and prepare well! If you are looking for accountability, fun, and guidance- check out Lasting Impact’s new Online Extemp Club! If you are ready to get started now… below is a list and analysis of the resources for extemp that helped me go into every tournament last year feeling completely prepared and ready to take on any topic that came my way!Continue reading “Prep like a Pro – News Outlets for Extemp by: Hope Rawlson”
Have you ever been thrust into a decision or situation where you felt like it was paramount for you to do the right thing, but you didn’t know exactly what the right thing was? Making a snap decision is intimating and overwhelming, however, speech and debate alum Melika McKinnis draws from her time in Teen Pact, studies at Hillsdale College, experience in State and Federal government, and much more showing us the help we can find through a grounded faith to make weighty decisions.
She roadmaps (as any former speech and debate student would) how we can best live out a life of restorative grace and love through showing up, standing up, and doing our part. Melika will be kicking our weekend off with the question: how can you answer your call? And then we’ll be taking the time to give you the tools to potentially answer that call in this season of speech and debate.
We hope you join us June 28 at 4:00 pm CT for Lasting Impact’s first annual Summer Intensive so you can gain advice, inspiration, perspective and more. CLICK HERE to join us! But hurry, the registration link will close.
Melika McKinnis is the Special Assistant for Ambassador at Large for International Religious Freedom Sam Brownback.
Prior to joining the State Department, Melika served as the Communications Director and Press Secretary for then Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, a job she first tackled at 24 years old. Her duties included advising on message development, political strategy, and governance. She was responsible for speechwriting, media preparation, digital communications, grassroots engagement, and leading a multi-agency communications team.
Melika also served as Communications Director for Ohio Congressman Jim Jordan, and Vice President for Communications and Strategic Development for Forge Leadership Network.
Melika was a 2016 Publius Fellow through the Claremont Institute: Recovering the American Idea. As an undergraduate, she earned the Edward Everett Prize in Oratory and was named a George Washington Fellow. She holds a B.A. in Politics from Hillsdale College.
Are you thinking about signing up for Lasting Impact!’s first annual Online Speech and Debate Summer Prep Intensive, but just haven’t had the time yet?! Well, now is the time to make the time! The Intensive starts TOMORROW!! This is like your very own Speech and Debate Camp in your own home! Perhaps you haven’t had enough of your questions answered? Here is the scoop…
- Who is the Intensive for? ANYONE who wants to grow in Speech and Debate! We have carefully picked each of these sessions to jump start your summer. There is no limit to the amount of “nuggets” of information you will receive. Therefore, we believe students, parents, coaches, and clubs will benefit from joining us.
- When is the Intensive? It starts TOMORROW, June 28, 4:00-9:00pm CT, and SATURDAY, June 29, 9:00am-4:00pm CT
- Do I have to be there the whole time? Nope. You can come in and out of sessions, as you please (please be sure the mute your microphone).
- Can my family join? Yes, the cost of the Intensive is for your entire family. Once you have the access code, members of your family are welcome to log on, as well. You do not need to be logged in to a computer, there will be a phone number, as well.
- Will it be recorded? YES! Those who register will have access to the links. We ask even if your can’t be there to sign up to ensure you get the recordings. We don’t know if we will post them for purchase after the event.
- How do I log in? You will be receiving an email with “what to expect”, as well as the link to Zoom- our online meeting forum. Each day will have their own link. You can expect that email by noon on Friday. Please contact us, if you don’t receive an email by noon on Friday.
- Why should I attend? This event is for YOU! You will be able to gather information, make a plan of action, or perhaps be energized in a new event. Our panel of guests are from around the country and have years of experience they are willing to share with you!
- Will there be giveaways? Oh yes!! In addition to free merchandise and coaching sessions, we will have hand outs for most of our sessions. You must be present in the session for most of the giveaways.
- What is the cost? The cost is only $25 (for members) for your entire family.
- What is the schedule? CLICK HERE
- Can I use the recordings in club? YEP! Club leaders are always welcome to use our articles, videos, hand outs, etc. We do this for you!
- Will registration close? Sadly, yes. We will need to take down the registration link before we start the event. So sign up NOW!
- How do I sign up? CLICK HERE
Did I miss any questions you may have? Are you hoping we answer one of your questions during one of our sessions? Please feel free to contact us – email@example.com
We’re so excited for the discussions that will be taking place during the Online Speech and Debate Summer Prep Intensive this coming weekend. If you haven’t signed up yet, be sure to check out the full schedule and register today! Now it’s time to introduce the awesome coaches that will be lecturing, leading sessions, and answering your questions this weekend. They are excited to help you start your season strong and share their experiences and advice…Continue reading “Online Intensive THIS Week!! Coaches Announced…”