Lasting Impact’s fall line up of online clubs and classes is going to be better than ever! All of the classes are listed HERE. One of the classes will be taught by my dear friend, Denise Montgomery. I believe her class will directly influence students, their observations, and of course their journey with speech and debate. After years of teaching (at the collegiate level and at home) Denise aims to fill in the gaps that many English programs leave. To think critically, effectively communicate, problem-solve, and experience life more fully, people must look through a new and wider lens…
Sitting in my now regular car dealership service waiting room and watching rain through the two-story windows, I cherish how the pounding drops somewhat obscure the federally-funded tv morning cartoons…that no one is watching, by the way. Why would we? All six of the other customers waiting on their vehicles are at least forty years old and looking down and thumb-scrolling on their phones.
And this is just one moment in time on a regular day…
What do we observe in the world around us:
- what is your overall world; and where, specifically, are you right now
- perceive with all your God-given senses: the physical and the spiritual
- collect, collect, collect
How do we synthesize/organize observations:
- let collected observations blend naturally
- allow observations to separate instinctively
- see how else you can manipulate groupings
What are the methods to grow imaginations:
- how could you add dialogue to the scene you observed
- what physical senses would fit into or surprisingly change the situation
- how else could you extend the scene beyond what you actually observed
How do we utilization this imagination:
- illustrate the scene in your mind
- derive meaning and list the questions to ask and/or lessons to learn
- create new scenes/stories/dialogue
How do we translate all these findings/revelations/imagination into words:
- compose a poem
- write prose
- take the meaning you extracted or created and find a way to deliver that message to others
The course to help activate and exercise this creative way of thinking is “Creativity for English and Beyond.”
This course aims to fill in the gaps that many English programs leave. To think critically, effectively communicate, problem-solve, and experience life more fully, people must look through a new and wider lens.
During this unique course, students will participate in group discussions and activities. They will learn to engage the imagination and express creative thinking all while taking an extra dose of formal English language and literature instruction.
I am passionate about our weird and wonderful English language and creativity. In my life, I believe in venerating beauty, exploring imagination, and encouraging thought all for the greater glory of God. I would love to take a semester-long journey with you to get you excited about and equipped to experience the world of creativity.
To sign up for or for more information on Creativity for English and Beyond click HERE – we would love to have you join us! All of Lasting Impact! fall classes and clubs for fall ARE NOW POSTED!! Some clubs are already filling up, so be sure to sign up! For Online Classes Click HERE. For Online Clubs Click HERE.